Thursday, March 20, 2008

Conference

So while Billy was busy being a local hero and placing a super stompdown on an asshole cop, I was at a cemetery conference.
Oh what a thrill!!
I got to learn about landscaping and wildlife and safety! Interesting note: the guy who gave the safety lecture had to put on his prescription sunglasses to see- think Mike Ditka circa 1980s glasses. The guy was from Cincinatti so it was "Ohi-er" all session long.
Out of maybe 60 people there, I was the youngest by about 20 years or so. This means a lot to the "older" gentlemen who go to these things. One guy (mmm about 87-ish?) was really into telling me about his new lady companion and how it wasn't a sexual relationship because "well look at me" but he also wanted me to know "that if he could, boy oy boy!" - hits me on the back. Yuk Yuk
Appropriate right?
The most interesting portion of the day was towards the end. A professor had just finished his lecture on cremation (which actually interested me) and was taking questions.
Here was one of the questions:
"When can we expect the death rate to go up?"
OK so from a business standpoint, sure I get it. We are a cemetery crowd- more dead people means more $$$.
But really, wtf? Then he went on to ask if the professor knew when the next mass disease (like the flu) would be spread. Die everyone die!!!!!!
ok....
so then the questioning somehow turned to the fact that more women are entering the cemetery business. Bill's mom (who was with me) is really the only female that runs a cemetery in most of Ohio. Here is a direct quote from one of the men:
"We are just going to have to face the fact that more women are entering our field. And it may be good thing. We will have to see"
WHAT????????????????????????
First, there were about 4 women in the room.
Had I not been with Bill's mom and anxious to leave (to go see Billy and the doggies), I would have questioned that statement.
I can not WAIT to take over the cemetery and give these good ol' boys something to deal with. I will take over the whole cemetery association!

The ride home was a complete disaster! Bill's mom does not handle bad weather well (she was driving). Bill and Dudethatsrad will know exactly what I mean.

So I'm at Thursday. Anxious for the games to start and jealous as all hell of Billy (who may or may not still be in bed- he went out last night with Captain D and Rob Deer).

2 comments:

Bill Teets said...

Old guys being stubborn and behind the times...hmmm...sounds like where I work.

Anyway, a) since you are quickly becoming a Northeastern Ohioan (all we need to do is convert your college allegiance) you should know that the Nati is actually part of Kentucky; we don't think people who have a cross between a southern drawl and a ghetto accent are actually from Ohio.

B) God bless you for driving from down there with my mom in the car and not having "an incident".

dudethatsrad said...

hahaha our mom in the car esp in bad weather is always a recipe for disaster!

show them boys whose boss. and i agree with bill cinci is actually just kentucky.