Thursday, March 6, 2008

La da di la di da

They opened the gym in our building- who knows when , we were never formally notified. Bill just happened to be walking the dogs and saw people working out in there.
Welcome to the gym!
We woke up early the other morning to go work out/investigate.
I am sad to report I was not that impressed. Throughout the whole process of buying our condo, we were constantly told that our building was the top notch version of all the other buildings our developer built. Better models/better flooring/better lobby etc. So naturally I expected a better gym. The gym at the other building (where we had been working out, by the way "had been working out" is a loose version of the truth)- was pretty decked out. Multiple flat screen televisions- even some tvs attached to the treadmills! There were some issues: like one of the eliptical machines didn't work but that was pretty much it. The main drawback was that we had to walk outside to get there, which seems petty, but trust me, on a day when there is an ice storm- you ain't walking outside.
Armed with all of this, I expected to walk into our new gym and find a futuristic, sparkling, brand new workout compound.
It wasn't.
Don't get me wrong, the ambiance is neat. Brick walls- glass windows looking out to the arches of the stone bridge- other windows peeking into the new restaurant/bar- I definitely like that aspect. However when you go there on what I assume is one of the first mornings it is open, and you discover one of the elliptical machines is already broken, it doesn't bode well for a good omen for the gym.
Plus the equipment seems to be second rate in comparison to the other building's gym equipment.
And only one flat screen tv.

They also didn't seem to think things out in terms of lighting/fan layout. Yesterday while working out after work, it got pretty hot in there (I think there were about 5 of us working out). One guy decided to turn on the fans. The result was a seizure inducing lightshow close to what I would see at some club in Ft. Laudy with sirens blaring as music. I almost fell off the machine I was on. We all tried to come up with a resolution. We needed the fans on, it really was hot- but not one of us could do anything that required balance while the lights were spastically roaming around the room. So we came up with a solution and a guy found a ladder (not hard when your building is still techincally under construction) and solved the issue.
So good- problem fixed.
But I don't want to have to solve issues like that in a multi-million $ building. Is that a lot to ask?
If I am paying almost $5 for a breakfast Jimmy Dean sandwich downstairs, I want someone else to think through all these extraneous issues.
I know this sounds whiny and that is ok with me.
If Braylon Edwards moves into our building, I want him to have the best possible work-out facility at his disposal.
OK not really- I just want a cool building that makes people want to live there and makes them jealous that I live there.

I'm rockin' one leg....

1 comment:

Bill Teets said...

this is what happens when there is no project manager, just a bunch of people doing their part